Today. But first, the prologue:
As I was sitting at the Apple Genius Bar this afternoon being told my external harddrive was mysteriously void of files, I was frankly pretty hardpressed to find something for which to be grateful. All had been fine with my external harddrive last month when I called Apple to see why my computer was slow. I was instructed to partition, a.k.a. change around, my external harddrive. Yada yada yada, I listened to Apple, and now it's all gone. Perfect.
My mind raced through the thousands of photos spanning several years of my children's history and family vacations never to be viewed again. That's when the first tear came. The genius looked at me sympathetically (as best he could being 20-something-years old and having no kids of his own) as he handed me a business card of a company in CA which "may or may not be able to retrieve the photos and will cost A LOT." That was the straw that broke this camel's back. As the tears came I desperately wanted to transport myself immediately out of the store. As I thanked my oh-so-helpful Genius (really?) and made my way out, avoiding all eye contact with anyone else, I felt a tap on the shoulder. Genius had brought a friend. He and his Manager wanted to take one more look at my laptop and see what they could do. Fine.
1. First I was thankful for having been loaned by a friend The Hunger Games which allowed me to distract myself long enough to take deep breaths and begin to hope for a small miracle.
2. Next I was thankful to be introduced to "Mike" who I'd seen before and was now taking a look at my computer. This guy really knows his shit. I mean Apple products.
3. I was thankful to then hear the words, "I don't want to get your hopes up, but I may have found your photo library." Mike. Buddy. Pal. Too late. I'm not just hoping, I'm FaceTiming God right now!
4. After Mike got my files to start copying he suggested I grab a cup of coffee while I wait the two hours it was estimated to take to retrieve all my photos. "It's been a long day, I think I'll go home and come back, okay?" "Thanks!"
5. Lastly, as my computer still remains at Apple, I am truly thankful for Mike and plan to write a glowing letter of praise since he not only found my files but will be making a few other modifications "Apple doesn't normally do" to get my laptop back up, complete with photos and running better than before. Yippee! Did I mentioned there was no charge since I have a warranty? (Insert mental image of me doing my very best happy dance here.)
In conclusion, I don't care what anyone says about Friday the 13th. This was by far the luckiest day I've had in ages!
Yesterday 1/12/12: not nearly as dramatic, but still worthy of thanks.
1. I am thankful for a night with the ladies and a little excuse to get together once a month called Bunco.
2. I am thankful for my husband who doesn't give me a hard time for leaving. Maybe he needs a break from me (gasp!)...either way, grateful.
3. Grateful to talk openly about many different subjects, be it the latest novels, parenting frustrations, playdate protocol, house renovations...just happy not to hear myself say, "Because I said so!" if only til tomorrow.
4. Once again I am grateful for my friends, in particular our host who also happens to make a mean batch of toffee! YUM!
5. Thankful to make it safely home to my family despite the heavy fog.